Why buy a monitor and a TV when you can turn your monitor into a tv? Yes, you have heard it right. You can use a computer monitor as a TV also. With just a click of a button, you can switch between a monitor and a TV. You will find many methods on the internet that require you to buy extra products to turn a monitor into a TV. Also, these methods are somewhat difficult that can cause complexity while applying them.
But you do not have to worry about this because we came up to save the day as well as your effort with the easiest and simple methods that can turn your monitors into TV. This process may require a little expense from you if you do not have the parts at your home. You do not have to be concerned because even if they are not available at your home, you can find them at your nearest store.
Can a Computer Monitor be Used as a TV?
Before turning your monitor into a TV, you need to consider some things and factors that are important to learn. The factors are as follow:
- Make sure that your monitor has an HDMI port. In case it does not have an HDMI, it must have a VGA connector or a display port.
- You need to check that your monitor comes with an in-built audio system. If it does not have an in-built audio system, you can use an audio jack to connect to speakers.
- The last thing you need to check is the resolution of your monitor. Your monitor should at least have a resolution of 720 pixels.
Method 1: Using a TV tuner
This procedure includes a TV tuner or set-up box with the use of different cables to make your monitor work as a TV.
- The first step of this method is to find an HDMI cable and port at the back of your monitor. You can also use a connector to convert the VGA cable into HDMI so it can be easily attached and supported by the monitor. Different types of connectors are available but you need to make sure that the connector you are buying is compatible with your cables in terms of size and operations.
- The next step of this method is to look for a fine TV tuner or set-up box that fulfills your requirements and is compatible with the monitor settings. You will find different TV turners or set-up boxes with different specifications. Make sure that you choose the right one so you do not have to regret it later.
- The last step you have to perform to successfully convert your monitor into a TV is to install the turner box with the monitor. You need to attach the required cables and wires. You do not have to use an external audio system because the TV tuner and set-up boxes are capable of providing you a better sound quality. Most of the TV turners and set-up boxes come with instruction manuals and guides so it can be easy for you to do everything necessary.
Method 2: Using Modern Devices
This procedure or method is almost the same as the first method but you need to do some configurations so we are going to discuss it step by step.
- The first thing you need to do to convert your monitor into TV is to locate the ports and cables on your monitor. You need to have an HDMI cable with your monitor but if you do not have you can attach an adapter to the VGA cable that most computers came with in the past. You can easily find a connector on the internet or in the market to convert a VGA cable into an HDMI.
- The next step is to look for a new audio system if you are not satisfied with the audio of the monitor. Monitors usually have a less quality sound system as compared to TV because it does not require a good quality sound system as much as the TV needs it. You can connect the external audio system with the monitor with the audio jack or a connector.
- For the last step of this procedure, you need to connect the HDMI port and the audio system to a modern device that can convert the monitor into a TV and enjoy your monitor and TV into a single device. You can also have a streaming device, DVD player, or cable box for connection. There several options available so you can choose according to your needs and requirements.
Some Recommended Tips
We can assume that you must have read and understood our article “Can a computer monitor be used as a TV?” if you have reached the conclusion part of the guide. We hope that it was helpful for you and you were able to turn your monitor into a TV with the methods that we described above step by step. You just have to be careful while following the steps because it is not difficult but a little ignorance can create a problem in turning your computers into TV.
If you are still confused and worried that what monitor will work best for you as a TV then let us handle this problem too. We came up with some recommendations that might help you in this situation. You can have Dell Ultrasharp Screen Led Monitor, Sceptre Ultrawide Monitor, or ViewSonic Curved Monitor as they can provide you all the features. You can have any monitor that comes with an HDMI port and an audio system.